Are web frameworks really worth it?

railsAs is maturing to it’s 500 days being online and growing… It’s also awfully painstaking how cumbersome a framework (it’s written in Ruby on Rails) can be. Agreed, I am not the most seasoned rails programmer, and my ruby code sometimes makes people cry, but still. Note that this rant is about web based frameworks, though it might apply in other environments also.

Web developments Frameworks have one main advantage: it’s a framework. You don’t have to write 90% of your code anymore. If you want user-login-forgot-password functionality, or a nice captcha, you often only has to enable one module, et voila, you’re rolling. Great to advocate so-called agile development. I wrote a audit tracking tool (points raised in a systems audit and outlining their risks) at work in Rails in a few hours, needless to say, it was impressive.

The downside of a framework is that it is a framework, you are bound by it’s rules and bend yourself often to make it work.

The first 90% of your applications gets done in 10% of the time, and you’ll be debugging for the remaining 90%. As said, it’s my personal opinion as a non full fledged rails guy, but a project that matures over time seems to give problems with frameworks. (Database migrations tend not to work well in the/my real world)

Sorry just a rant. It’s 3 AM, and these migrations are driving me up the wall, to an extend that I downloaded MDB2 and smarty, and am assessing how long a rewrite would take.

Good night,






One response to “Are web frameworks really worth it?”

  1. […] again, although I think Rails was what the web community needed, I always had my ideas about […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *